Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Dreaded Blood Work

Today I got a call from my Dr. office. I am a carrier for cystic fibrosis. I don't have cystic fibrosis and will never have it. But 1 out of the 2 chromosomes that I have is a mutated gene for CF. My other chromosome is normal.

Now Eddie has to be tested. If he is not a carrier, then the baby will be fine. The baby could be a carrier like me but that's it. If Eddie tests positive, then the baby has a 25% chance of have CF. At that point I will get an amniocentesis to determine what CF genes the baby has.

There are so many little steps and waiting periods because we don't get immediate answers. I go into sporadic little cries and feel bad, but I can't feel bad right now, especially because everything could be just fine. This is just a little set back and I have to deal with everything as it comes. I don't want to go into worst case scenario Anne mode.

Anyways, it is kind of weird knowing I'm a carrier. I now think of myself as not as healthy, even thought it in no way affects me. One of my parents is a carrier, or both could be. Isn't it strange to go through life not knowing these little details. There really is no point in knowing this detail, except if your going to have a kid.

Gotta think good thoughts! Come on Healthy Eddie!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment